[c-nsp] bgp scalability C7600

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Fri Feb 6 16:56:16 EST 2015

On 2/6/2015 2:50 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:56:43PM +0100, james list wrote:
>> Hi gert
>> Good info.
>>
>>  From customer requirements and  pricing point of view the idea is to
>> replace with a nexus.
> I'm not sure if I understand Nexus positioning (well, I'm actually fairly
> sure that I do *not* :) ), so I can't really comment on that.
>
> ASR1k is also supposed to have a very good and fast BGP implementation.
>
> So it really depends on number of interfaces, expected throughput, operating
> system preferences (IOS XR is what I always wanted, from day one :-) ),
> etc.
>
> gert

If you're using it as a 1G Ethernet router, the ASR1K might be a viable
replacement.  If you're doing 10G or beyond, seriously look at the
ASR9K.  Depending on the port density you need, the ASR9K is likely
cheaper once you get past 2-3 10G ports.  And XR handles BGP a LOT nicer
than XE.  Very very fast convergence even with full tables.

Now if you're using the 7600 as a big L2/L3 switch, the Nexus might be a
good option as well.  Backplane is plenty fast for 10/40/100G and
beyond, especially if you're looking at 7Ks with Fab2s and Sup2s.  We
aren't doing BGP on ours currently, but we're on our second pair of
7018s doing data-center core with multiple VDCs and lots of throughput
between UCS servers and multiple dark fiber links.

All comes down to what role/features you need and what speeds you need
to support.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com