[c-nsp] ASR920 - ISR4431

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.co.uk
Wed Jun 3 03:11:02 EDT 2015

We are looking at replacing some routers for a client, as they have recently upgraded to 1Gb internet.

They just take a default route in from 2 carriers, but may be looking at taking in a few more routes - probably just those of each provider, so certainly much less than the 20k limits we see on many platforms.

Price is a big concern - and this will be purely routing traffic and speaking BGP.

I was looking at the ISR4431 with a 1gb licence and the ASR920 - the ASR1k is just too expensive.
We use 4551's in other locations and they are very decent router - although they are 2U. 1U is a requirement.

Would I just need the 6 port gigabit licence - and the chassis for the 920?

Or do I need something to unlock a base set of features cable of speaking BGP Ipv4 ?

The ISR4431 looks to be 3x as expensive - if I just need the licencing mentioned above for the 920.

Nick Cutting | Network Engineer | ncutting at edgetg.co.uk