[c-nsp] Serial Terminal Servers

Chris Marget chris at marget.com
Tue Jun 30 14:32:17 EDT 2015

All of my CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC cables land in a panel like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZI348/

>From there, I connect to Cisco router consoles (and things wired like them)
with regular UTP patch cords.

Connecting to the DE-9 port on a server can be accomplished with:

- a modern Cisco console cable plus a rollover adapter
- a modern Cisco console cable with the end chopped off and re-crimped
upside-down (rollover)
- an old-school Cisco DE-9F <--> 8P8C adapter plus a UTP patch cord

I'm sure that the DB-25 cable can be adapted to whatever you want, but it's
big and clunky. I wouldn't buy it if I was attaching to anything other than
8-packs of external modems.