[c-nsp] BGP Failover

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Mar 17 04:28:03 EDT 2015

On 17/Mar/15 10:21, M K wrote:
> I have two connections to my service provider (one is active and the other is standby)The provider gave me /29 public subnet to use , am establishing the BGP with him over private subnetI have an exchange server that is assigned an IP address from the public poolNow , we had another new connection with the provider terminated to another router (another geographic area) What we are looking for is if the primary service provider site , I want the exchange to keep the same IP address and to be assigned from the new link because I do not want employees to change the mx record (the domain name for the mail)

The easiest way is for you to originate the /29 you were assigned by
your ISP from all 3x routers. If one router fails, the router takes over
(best to run iBGP between the routers as well).

The other option is the ISP can originate the /29 from within their
network, but they'd need to run BFD with you to ensure failover works
correctly, i.e., the /29 does not get blackholed due to an Ethernet link
that is up local but down remote.

Mark.