[c-nsp] "Core/AGG" switch for small DC

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 06:36:54 EDT 2015

On 26/03/15 07:03, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Have a small DC, with around 12 racks, each with a 4948 as
> TOR(Customer firewalls and servers connecting to them), coming back
> to another 4948 acting as an agg/core switch...suggestions on a
> replacement would be highly appreciated(To give more
> redundancy...currently, its just a cold 4948 spare)...one of my
> colleagues "loves" stackable switches, and is wanting to go with a
> pair of 3950's....myself, Im not a fan of stackables...so, smaller
> chassis-base would be my preference....or open to any other
> suggestions.

For a datacentre, I'd pay attention to buffering. Cisco stackables tend
to have tiny buffers (not sure about 3950), which may or may not be a
problem for an agg switch, depending on your traffic patterns and link
speeds, and whether the device does cut-through switching.

How many ports and of what media/speed do you want? Do you need any DCB
/ FCoE stuff? Layer 2 or layer 3?