[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 Router Related

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Sep 27 16:20:29 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:06:57PM +0600, Shoaib Farhan wrote:
> We are going to migrate to 7600 series router and after some study we came
> to below sets for router. We would run L2/L3 MPLS VPN, VPLS, BGP, IPv6,
> OSPF, Netflow. Traffic would be over 2 gbps and we need few 10G ports and
> scope for future growth and also consider cost.  Which set would be the
> better?

We run lots of 6500 gear with Sup720, which is quite similar to the
7600/rsp720 if you take away politics and BU silliness - especially
the age of the platform and the drawbacks.  We're still mostly happy
with the platform, but it's certainly not something I'd migrate *to*,
because, well, it's an old platform, and the 7600 BU seems to be no
longer interested in it - while the 6500 BU is still working on the
general platform (Sup2T, 6880-X, 6807XL, newer high-density line cards,
etc.).  So, don't go to 7600 (and never ever by ES line cards).

For your profile, I'd look very closely at an ASR9001 (more router-y),
or possibly at the 6840-X (more switch-y = many more ports for the
same money, but not the same ultimate flexibility - and so far, only
-LE models with only 256k IPv4 routes have been announced)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de