[c-nsp] ip device tracking on IOS-XE

Sebastian Beutel sebastian.beutel at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Aug 8 13:28:52 EDT 2016

Dear list,

    we ran into trouble with the ip device tracking feature that seems to be
enabled by default on devices running ios-xe. There's allready a trouble
shooting guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/8021x/116529-problemsolution-product-00.html

As ip device tracking is disabled by default on most of our devices anyway
(those running ios) my first idea was to just disable it globaly. But even
though command line completion and online help knows about "no ip device
tracking <cr>" and a global line "ip device tracking" shows up in sho run
all, i get an error message saying: "IP device tracking is disabled at the
interface level by removing the relevant configs".

Next thing is, that no "relevant config" appears in "sho run all" on an
interface level. There are only globaly lines. And if i try to do a
"no ip device tracking" on a single interface i get the exact same error
 message.

But it get's wilder: If i use one of the suggestions of the above link and
type a "ip device tracking probe delay 10" on just a single interface, the
command goes through without an error. The result is, that again no
corresponding configuration shows up on the interface but the global line is
now changed and a "show ip device tracking all" reveals:

Global IP Device Tracking Probe Delay Interval = 10

Any ideas how that makes sense? How to disable device tracking globaly? For
what use device tracking could be beneficial anyway?

Best,
   Sebastian.