[c-nsp] Rec for full-table multi-peer bgp router?

Jiri Prochazka jiri.prochazka at superhosting.cz
Thu Dec 1 16:36:18 EST 2016

Hi,

we're using 7280SR as the full BGP routing edge with a great success, on
many POPs. 2-3 full BGP feeds from eBGP neighbors (with VERY complex
route-maps), a few iBGP peers, sFlow..

The biggest limitation is that it can handle just ~2M routes in RIB so
you can not receive more than 3 full v4 feeds (now, this will probably
change, as the code gets better). The switch can technically
handle/receive more, but Arista says 'we do not recommend this'.

As someone noted, the RIB scales up to ~1.2M, which is enough, for us.

We have been hit by a few quite nasty bugs on this platform, but
Arista's support guys were always able to find a solution/workaround.
Actually we have discovered a few new bugs on 7280SR, which were not
known to Arista.

So, if you're looking for someone who is using this platform as full BGP
routing edge - we're the (very satisfied) example. We're pushing more
than 700 Gbps over them.

Jiri