[c-nsp] "safe harbor" - reliable statement about expected sw quality?

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:26:32 EST 2016

> I don't quite get what precisely Cisco is stating with those
> little stars and the "safe harbor" label for IOS releases.

Safe harbor means the release was tested in a number of
scenarios and found to be stable. It is a certification basically.

> Does the missing "star" imply I can expect less reliability
> from SXJ10 compared to SXJ7?

No (and actually the "star" is on 15.1.2-SY9, which is the suggested
IOS you should be running on new deployments).

Just because the latter has a certification while the former doesn't,
doesn't imply the latter is more stable.

In fact SXJ7 has 4 publicly known vulnerabilities, so I would strongly
suggest to run SXJ10 (if you have to stay on the SXJ train, that is).

I assume Cisco only does safe harbor testing when customers actually
pay for it.