[c-nsp] Juniper MX240 & MX480

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Oct 31 06:08:05 EDT 2017

> Am I only one puzzled about MX204 port choice, 4xQSFP28 + 8xSFP+.
> Seems like it's positioned to datacenters facing upstream? I'd want
> 2xQSFP28 and maybe 36xSFP+ (oversub is fine), with attractive
> licensing using SFP+ as SFP only, to add L3 DFZ 1GE aggregation box to
> JNPR portfolio.
> I can't imagine rolling this would be expensive, call it MX202 o
> something. JNPR do me a solid.

We discussed this with Juniper. We're hearing a lot about space available
on the faceplate versus number of ports desired. However, the MX204 feels
mostly irrelevant for us because splitter cables for 10G are not usable
(since we have quite a bit CWDM/DWDM optics directly in our routers).

If faceplate space is the issue we would actually be much happier with a
2RU box - especially if they could reduce depth to 30 cm or thereabouts.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no