[c-nsp] Seamless MPLS interacting with flat LDP domains

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Apr 30 15:52:37 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 09:04:04PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 30/Apr/19 20:45, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > But hey, the world is moving towards EVPN/VXLAN on cheap Broadcom
> > gear, and vendors charging like $20k extra for MPLS forwarding on
> > these boxes are pusing hard towards that goal...
>
> I must be old and grey... we've never deployed VXLAN, and have no
> interest in EVPN.

We both are :-) - but EVPN is nice for lots of the stuff where people
tried to made VPLS work at scale.  VXLAN is just another encapsulation,
but since that is fancy in the fast-but-cheap world, it's worth a look.

[..]
> In our core, not having to run BGP in the core is an excellent use-case
> for MPLS.

Yep.

(One could do that with EVPN/VXLAN based solutions, but I'm not sure
this would be a really great idea.  Products are still a bit "young" wrt
to EVPN type 5 routes, aka "layer 3 VNI")

gert