[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1000 Info..

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 1 04:49:01 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 03:23:56PM -0400, Howard Leadmon wrote:
> So do you feel
> that the ASR9001 would be a good choice for the next 5 years or so, and
> if I am correct on the 9001 I think the licensing is all there from the
> start, so it should just play?

Yes.  There are extra licenses for L3 VPN (and insanely expensive), but
basic IPv4/IPv6/MPLS is all in the basic IOS XR you buy with it.

For a BGP edge router with "12x 10GE interfaces are sufficient for the
foreseeable future" it's a very nice box.  Very fast and very good BGP
implementation, very robust altogether.

There are caveats

 - upgrading IOS XR is very time consuming, so do not make this your
   single link to the world

 - the configuration is sufficiently different from IOS (especially the
   BGP policy language) that it will take a few days to get yourself
   sorted out.  There are good intro pages into XR on the web, though.

   I think I've learned quite a lot from this blog: https://fryguy.net/
   (now combined into https://fryguy.net/2012/10/19/ios-xr-workbook/)

 - single RSP - we've never had one fail on us, but of course, RAM can
   go bad, flash can go bad, etc. - so "do not make this your single
   link to the world"

 - dual PSUs, though :-)

 - it will not do everything an ASR1k can do - for example, no L2TP
   termination, limited support for ACLs on SVIs, no IPSEC tunnels,
   maybe more.  So verify closely what features you need.

gert