[c-nsp] Cisco NCS VxLAN Experience

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Fri Jan 10 09:57:19 EST 2020

On 09/01/2020 18:19, Gert Doering wrote:
> Cisco has a zillion products that mainly differenciate in "which of
> the advertised features are unusable or broken" and "what operating
> system do we use this week?".
>
> Ditching out half the products and using the engineering capacity
> freed by this might results in half the product families shipping
> actually useful products.

To some extent, I would agree. Though I do not agree entirely.

At a certain level of "one size fits all", you reach a point where no,
actually that box isn't suitable for every function. Either it's
designed for a different use-case, or the bill of materials is too high
for areas where lighter feature sets will suffice.

Differentiation of hardware features vs. hardware cost, is why we don't
all run the same laptop, phone, car, bicycle, etc.

What I did find promising was that the Cisco 8000 has dropped its
suffix, suggesting that we might find it aligning NCS, ASR, and - who
knows - perhaps even some Nexus areas? It's an interesting shift anyway.

Regards,

--
Tom