[cisco-voip] rebooting CM

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Wed Feb 11 19:00:49 EST 2004

Scott,

Inline....  /Wes

> If I have all my phones pointed at the sub and I reboot the pub, will I
> loose any CM Services?

For the period of time the pub is down, database updates will not be
allowed.  This means Extension Mobility login/logout will not be available.
Also, you will not be able to CFA or clear CFA from the phones.  These
functions will be restored within ~5mins after publisher comes back online.

> Once I have rebooted the Pub and want to reboot the Sub, What will
> happen?  Will it automatically re-register with the Pub?

Yes, phones will failover to pub (assuming you have it as the secondary in
your Callmanager group).  The sub will reboot.  Then it will come back
online and re-estabilsh all connections with the pub.  Phones will
gracefully and randomly re-home back to the sub.

> How long will that take?
It's a random timer in the phones.  Somewhere between 3 mins and 30 mins to
rehome to primary.  It varies per version, but there is no real harm in
having a phone homed to a backup server.

> Will calls drop?
So long as you are not:
1. using h323 gateways
2. not using MTP or transcoder

MGCP is your friend.  Phones will not rehome in either direction until they
are idle.

> If it re-registers with the pub will it re-register to the sub when it
comes back up?

Yes, see above.