[cisco-voip] FW: How do you make Cisco 79XXs (SIP image) work with an LDAP directory to provide users with a central phone directory?

Neil Kuruppu neil.kuruppu at ecessor.com
Mon Apr 4 15:02:07 EDT 2005

Hello group,

I have a few questions though I'm worried that these may be perceived to be
off topic (though they do relate to Cisco VoIP equipment) given that many of
you seem to be from the Cisco Call Manager and SCCP/MGCP worlds whereas
we're running SIP. Anyhow - I hope some of you have some Cisco SIP
experience and can help.

So here's the scenario. We are a small/medium sized company running a bunch
of Cisco 7960 and 7940 phones with SIP image 7.4 on our office LAN and among
home workers. The phones download their config file from our internal TFTP
server and talk to an outsourced VoIP centrex provider for dialtone and
voicemail - namely BroadVoice (www.broadvoice.com
<http://www.broadvoice.com/> ).

The set-up for most purposes works great - we benefit from IVR,
fully-featured voicemail, hold, transfer (blind/attended) etc. with the
IMPORTANT advantage that our remote users can connect through NATs using
pretty much any router which we couldn't do in the old days of the Cisco
Softphone and skinny. Overall we can do pretty much everything we want -
don't have to cost/hassle of maintaining our own CM/Unity setup and only pay
$25/user for unlimited calling to 35 countries!

The downside however is that there is one key feature that we want that
isn't supported by our service provider - namely LDAP directory integration.
Having gone through all of Cisco's documentation on the SIP image they make
reference to supporting LDAP directories on the SIP image for the 79XX
phones. However they conveniently fail to mention what strings/parameters we
need to enter into the config file in order to point the phone to an LDAP
server

Has anyone here had experience of SIP imaged 79XXs work with an LDAP
directory? If so could you please point me in the right direction on the
above issue? Also if you have any other general insights on how you made it
work - I would truly appreciate you taking the time to respond.

As a final point - though this is not so important - does anyone have any
experience of building XML browser apps/services around the 79XXs with the
SIP image?

Kind regards,

NEIL KURUPPU
Ecessor Corporation