[cisco-voip] CCS and Partitions best practices

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Fri Apr 8 16:11:24 EDT 2005

There is a fundamental restriction with the number of 'characters' a calling search space can contain in it's partition list - I'm pretty sure that number is 512 characters. That means there is no limit to the number of partitions in a calling search space per se, but the list of partitions, including the semi-colon seperator can not exceed 512 characters.

That being said, devices of a similar nature/purpose should be grouped together in their own partition, allowing you to control access to those devices. Voicemail is a good example of one where you really don't want people to access the ports directly, you want them to access a pilot and the pilot number is a translation to the first voicemail port which rings busy/noanswer to the next voicemail port. Coincedentally, this structure has changed in 4.0, voicemail ports no longer have a ring busy/noanswer destination. However, this still doesn't change the principle behind 'hiding' the voicemail ports.

It also depends on the dialplan strategy you take with respect to off-net access. We've taken an approach where the device has access to all offnet patterns and the line's CSS included route patterns that block access.