[cisco-voip] CFwdAll on 4.x

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Wed Apr 20 09:28:44 EDT 2005

SQL replication has nothing to do with CFA being broke per the FN.
This specific problem only exists in 4.x as well.

I think I've sent emails before on how to troubleshoot CFA issues in
4.x and those cover the basics of how it works, but the whole thing
breaks down to communication issues between the publisher and the
(randomly selected) server with the role of the SSAPI master.  The
publisher will have a TCP connection on port 7727 to this server and
that SSAPI master server is the one responsible for passing out
database change notifications to the CCM process on each node in the
cluster (via SDL).  Currently there is a nasty bug at the TCP layer in
CM that prevents Aupair (database layer monitor) from detecting when
that connection is lost.

Most often simply restarting Aupair on the publisher will fix the
problem (assuming you are indeed hitting the bug mentioned in the FN).
Since the CFA process has about 8 steps (from phone hitting the softkey
to intercept tables being updated on all nodes in the cluster) a
breakdown anywhere can have frighteningly similar symptoms.  In some
cases a restart of one (or even all) CCM services is necessary to
recover the SDL links.

The fix will first be showing up in 4.0(2a)sr2.  Shortly after that it
will be in engineering specials for 4.1(2) and 4.1(3).   Don't bother
asking for it though until you see 4.0(2a)SR2 on CCO.  Personally I'd
give it an extra week before opening a TAC case asking for the ES since
those are only built on certain days.

On a semi-related note, please make sure your customers (or other
admins) aren't restarting CM by deactivating and then re-activating the
service.  Doing that changes the CTI node ID and will break SDL
communication with that server and all the other servers in the cluster
until they are all rebooted.   It's just bad, mmkay?

-Ryan