[cisco-voip] 7960 firmware upgrade - SOLVED!

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Jan 7 00:11:07 EST 2005

At 05:32 PM 1/6/2005, I wrote:

>I have a 7960 (non-G) phone.  It has SCCP firmware and I'm trying to
>reflash to SIP or MGCP.  Normally I can just point such phones to a
>TFTP server with the appropriate OS79XX.TXT and .bin files and it just
>works.  This one hangs on "Defaulting Call Manager to TFTP Server".
>
>Application load in the phone is P003AM30, Boot load is PC03A300

I found the problem.  During one reboot, the phone very briefly
displayed:  "File P0M3-03-.bin not found".  Apparently some early
phone images have issues with filenames greater than eight characters
before the .bin extension.  Renamed the MGCP image to P0M30300.bin,
edited OS79XX.TXT to reflect the same, rebooted and bingo!

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/