[cisco-voip] Windows 2k3 sp1

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Wed Jun 1 14:26:01 EDT 2005

Ok did a little digging into the bug and the basic operation that broke
in SP1 is a function called OpenSCManager.  This is what Unity uses to
see if we have connectivity to the Exchange server and to verify that
the Exchange services are indeed running.   SP1 denies this query
because we are trying to get service status.   The quick and easy fix
is to change it so Unity only checks to see if the server is alive.
But what happens if the server is running but all Exchange services
stopped (hint, nothing good)?

Fixing this will involve completely rewriting the way Unity polls
Exchange and is very code intensive  So rather write some half-baked
fix for 4.0(4) and slap it into an ES they decided to put it into
4.0(5).  This gave them time (I assume) to heavily test this new
mechanism for reliability and scalability (Unity polls Exchange a LOT).

The bug notes indicate that an ES for 4.0(4) may well be in the works,
but with 4.0(5) out they may just want folks to upgrade.
Even with 4.0(5) there is a registry entry that allows you to go back
to the "old" method of polling Exchange if necessary.   Please open a
TAC case if you run into odd Mailstore issues with 4.0(5) and are not
running Win2k3 SP1 on your Exchange server(s).

-Ryan