[cisco-voip] Voice quality issues with FXO ports

Mai Le mle at Niku.com
Wed Jun 1 14:49:30 EDT 2005

Hi there,

We are experiencing the similar issue.  What firmware is running on your
gateway ?  A cisco rep suggested that we upgrade our firmware to fix
this issue.

Mai Le

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Erick Bergquist
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 6:19 PM
To: cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: [cisco-voip] Voice quality issues with FXO ports

Hi,

Having some issues with a 2800 ISR and 6 analog lines and FXO
interfaces. VIC2-4FXO and VIC2-2FXO.

We had same problem with 2610XM router but upgraded to 2800 series for
other reasons (performance, CPU, etc) and problem continues.

The voice quality issue is every now and then, on calls we will hear a
few seconds of static, or a whishing type sound in background. Sometimes
the users hear other noises like someone elses phone conversation in
background. Sometimes there is a high pitched sqweaching sound briefly
on calls. Sometimes the call is mushy and like you're talking through a
wet rag. That is how one user describes the calls.

Both parties hear the whishing sound, high sqweaching, sometimes there
is dropped syllables.

The calls are local to same subnet as Gateway and G711. No errors on
LAN, QoS is fine, etc. The users don't have problems with calls over WAN
back to HQ, etc - just with calls on the local lines using FXO ports.

We have adjusted input/output gains every which way and the volume is
good, etc with input gain 8 and output attenuation of -3.

The above voice quality issues are off and on , some days there are no
reports of issues and other days there is a lot of reports of above.
There is no echo reported, etc and we have adjusted impediences also
with no real change. Were told the local provider Sprint is supplying
900ohm lines and have matched that.

The problem appears to be calls made locally or within the same part of
the state. This is in eastern NC (Kinston). Calls made to the phone
lines from other states (LD Calls) appear to fine and problem free as
this is how I am working and testing this and every time I call into all
these lines I am not experiencing any of the above problems.

These phone lines have been used with a old PBX system fine and if we
plug up regular phones to the lines without going through the routers
the calls are fine of the few dozen we made that way.

I'm looking to see if anyone has had this sort of issue and has any
ideas on how to fix it. We've replaced the FXO modules also. We have
other sites in area with same hardware setup and same VICs and no
problems like this at those sites. Just this one site.
The local cabling has been checked and redone as well at the facility to
rule out any problems. We are using
2 wire cables.