[cisco-voip] Replacing CallManagers and Upgrading VoIP Servers

VoIP Forum voipforum at apptis.com
Fri Jun 3 18:48:43 EDT 2005

Feedback would be greatly appreciated

We am going to be replacing our CallManagers (3.3(4)sr2) with new boxes
(4.1(3)srX). We have a 2 day windows for this upgrade, so there is not
that much pressure, and we have 3 weeks to recreate the current CCM
setup on the new servers.

We do not want to use BARS and wish to change the server names. Please
correct me if I am wrong, but what I plan to do is the following...

1.	Create VLAN for new servers
2.	Create VACL for new servers
3.	Import DC Directory and repository from old to new
4.	Export Users and phone with BAT from old to new
5.	Recreate the PT, CSS, RP, RL, RG, TP, HL, etc...
6.	Copy over user preferences (jar files)
7.	Change DHCP scopes for phones to 15 minutes
8.	Change VLANs and Scopes option 150 for phones to point to new
servers (optional; for a new IP scheme)
9.	Shut down old servers
10.	Start new servers
11.	Change DHCP scope for phones to 30 minutes (during testing)
12.	Pull A Mirrored Drive from Unity and CRS
13.	Upgrade CRS from 3.1(3)sr3 to 3.5(3)srX

	a.	Upgrade to OS 2000.2.7sr4
	b.	Upgrade BARS to 4.0.7

14.	Upgrade Unity from 4.0(4)sr1 to 4.0(5)sr2

	a.	Do OS patches

15.	Connect Unity and CRS to new Servers
16.	Change DHCP scope for phones to 3 days (once testing done)

	a.	Use Back-out Procedures if any one component fails

17.	Upgrade CAD\CSD to 4.5(5) and Historical Reporters to
appropriate version

Troubleshooting

1.	Remove VACLs
2.	Ethereal Trace Analysis
3.	Log review on CCM
4.	Open TAC Case if needed

Back-out Procedures (only use if, 2 hours remain until a live working
VoIP network is needed)

1.	Change DHCP scope for phones to 15 minutes
2.	Change Phones Scopes option 150 for phones to point to old
servers
3.	Shut down new servers
4.	Start old servers
5.	Shut down Unity