[cisco-voip] PRI Utilization

Court Schuett cschuett at hfsnorthamerica.com
Thu Jun 9 10:30:11 EDT 2005

I thought I've seen this request go out before and just wanted to let
people who were looking for it know that I've got a solution.  It's an
ugly one, but it does work.

Here's how it goes.

Go to CAR
Device-Reports -> Gateway -> Detail

Export the data you're looking for to a CSV.

In Excel, strip out everything you don't need until your columns look
like this:
Column A: Date
Column B: Start Time
Column C: End Time

Then, in Column E, starting in Row 2, put in the minutes of the day in
number (I use Decimal 10) format.  It should look like this:
0.0000000000
0.0006944444
0.0013888889
0.0020833333
0.0027777778
0.0034722222
0.0041666667
0.0048611111
0.0055555556
0.0062500000
0.0069444444
0.0076388889
0.0083333333
0.0090277778
0.0097222222
0.0104166667
0.0111111111
0.0118055556
0.0125000000
0.0131944444

Expand that down all the way until it reaches 1.

In Column E, Row 1, enter the date you want to study.
In Column F, put this function:
=SUMPRODUCT((A$1:A$10000=E$1)*(B$1:B$10000<=E2+1/1440)*(C$1:C$10000>=E2+
1/1440))

That will analyze the first 10,000 calls for the day you put in E1.
In Column G, I put =MAX(F2:F1441) to give me the max concurrent calls
for the day.

Management really likes this information because it gives them a good
idea if they need to buy more PRIs or cancel some.

The analysis is not perfect.  It only analyzes by minute so it can miss
some connections, but it is pretty good.  Usually good enough.  If you
wanted to take it out to the second, it wouldn't be that difficult
either.

I have plans to create a PHP or perl script that will perform better
analysis but this is what I have for now.

Hope that helps!

Court Schuett

630-909-5560
cschuett at hprlogistics.com