[cisco-voip] Making phone changes through SQL ?

Tech Guy techguy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 09:23:36 EDT 2006

I am no SQL guru, hell not even a CallManager guru.  Though I knew alot
about it, but the more I talk to others and see the way others do things the
more you come to realize just how little you know.

This leads me to want to confirm some thing.  I am almost 99.9% positive
that you can change just about anything you want through SQL, if it is in
the database you can change it and as long as you do it right there
shouldn't be a problem.

Earlier this week I asked about changing the phone softkey field through
BAT.  Can't seem to find an option to do this within BAT, people informed me
that you could kinda do this through the device pool.  Helpful yes, but not
exactly.

See the problem with the device pool is that only works if the phones are
set to "none" for the softkey field so then they inherit the setting from
the device pool.  Well apparently when they had CallManager setup over here
someone set all the softkey fields on each phone to the same.  So, changes
to the device pool are not taking affect for me.

So this is all part of why I am wanting to confirm things in regards to
making edits directly through SQL instead of through CallManager.  It should
be a simple task through SQL to make this sort of mass change.  After all
isn't that alot of what CallManager and BAT are, just front ends to SQL
database?  I am referring to the web pages like ccmadmin of course, I know
they do more but the essence of the web pages for ccmadmin and BAT are just
easy ways to manipulate the SQL database right?

Thanks for the help so far, its a pleasure to be a part of such an active
and informative mailing list.  By far the best one I have been a part of in
the past 15 or so years.