[cisco-voip] voice-VLAN problems between Cat 3500XL and Cisco IP phones?

Alexander Bochmann ab at lists.gxis.de
Sun Oct 22 08:39:35 EDT 2006

Hi,

we're currently trying to connect a couple of Cisco IP phones
to older Cat 3524XL PoE switches.

The access ports on the switches are configured as trunk,
with the voice-VLAN as non-native (according to Cisco-docs,
just configuring the voice vlan doesn't work on the old 12.0WC
IOS on those switches).
Voice-VLAN autodetection via CDP works. If we connect other
devices in the voice VLAN, everything is fine.
If we connect a Cisco IP phone, DHCP doesn't work. The phones
just say "DHCP timeout", although a sniffer shows that they
receive DHCP answers from the server.

Has anyone perhaps run into a similar problem? I'm thoroghly
out of ideas what to try next...

Alex.