[cisco-voip] DPNSS Signaling

Paul Underwood paul.underwood at btclick.com
Mon Oct 30 18:54:17 EST 2006

Adam,

DPNSS is a protocol normally only used by PBXs in the UK and by saying T1
then I assume one end is in the US.  Anyway you could use the EGWs but
they’d be expensive and they’ve gone end of life
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5938/prod_eol_notice0900aecd80403827.h
tml

So:-

1.	you could stick a QSIG card in the Mitel with a Cisco 28XX with the
right vwic, PVDM, IOS etc in MGCP mode on the other end and you’re done

a.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/4_1/pbx_int/3
97380mi.pdf <-- old but useful

2.	if you still need to use DPNSS and don’t want to fiddle with the
Mitel too much then stick a Westell IQ2000+ box Cisco 28XX with the right
vwic, PVDM, IOS etc in MGCP mode on the other end of the link and you’re
done.

a.
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/partners/success_stories/total_network_soluti
ons_hospital_073003.pdf <-- It’s been done before by these guys.

3.	If you can’t do (2) cause you can’t get the Westell in the US then
you could instead use the Westell IQ2030 attached locally to the Mitel, but
connect to the Westell as a H.323 Gateway over the T1.

Here’s a link explaining the DPNSS features that can be passed between
CallManager and a Westell
http://www.westell.co.uk/support/downloads/DPNSSfeaturesexplainedv41.pdf but
I recommend that you contact Westell or your local Cisco office/partner 1st.

Lastly a Westell costs £1000+ and if you go for one I’d recommend that you
have a Mitel engineer one end and a Westell Engineer the other so they can
argue who’s equipment it is that doesn’t work :-)

Rgds,

Paul.

  _____