[cisco-voip] FAX relay vs. FAX passthrough

Ahmed Elnagar aelnagar at ACT-EG.COM
Mon May 7 12:35:14 EDT 2007

this is a sample dial-peer that I used to relay faxes from PSTN to a FAX server thorugh an H323 gateway

dial-peer voice 345 voip
 description Test_Fax
 destination-pattern 345
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:x.x.x.x
 fax-relay ecm disable
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 codec g711ulaw
 fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback cisco
 no vad

here are some of my notes:

*Regarding CM 4.x fax relay with T.38 protocol is supported in H323 mode only no T.38 with sip is supported (that is why I made the dial-peer on the gateway as my FAX server only supports T.38 with SIP)

*Remember ro disable the ecm function under the dial-peer (the highlighted command) because this function sometimes makes problems with transmission of the fax.
*I didnot try using G.729 codec but it works fine with G.711 codec with me.

A very useful command for debugging is debug voice call fax it will be very helpful with you (and I think it is the only debug command available for FAX debugguing)

Thanks and Best Regards

Ahmed A. Elnagar
Network Field Engineer

Advanced Computer Technology (ACT)
16 Fawzy Ramah St.Off Shehab St.Mohandessin, Giza, Egypt
Postal Code:12411 Cairo Egypt

Mob: +2010-2833868
Website: www.act-eg.com