[cisco-voip] Trouble shooting Unity recorded name

Pat Hayes pat-cv at wcyv.com
Thu Nov 20 16:17:19 EST 2008

Both, so you can compare how the RTP stream started out to how it
ended up. But first you've got to narrow down if the problem is the
recording or the playback so you can capture the appropriate event.
Easiest way is to play back the actual wave file from the server on a
PC to see how it sounds. If this problem is reproducible, though, it
really has to be impacting other recordings/playback as well, unless
there is something unique about the call path that these users take to
record their names. A certain gateway or remote site the traffic
passes through, perhaps? Does the problem continue if these users call
in through some completely different path?

Anyways, keep in mind that there are three different methods of
messing up a recording/playback that account for nearly all Unity
audio problems:

1. Network problems (delay, jitter, dropped packets, etc) - Unity's
buffers are smaller than IP phones, so these issues tend to show up in
Unity first. You'll see an obvious difference in the stream between
the source and destination captures.

2. High CPU/Disk IO on Unity - For recording, the stream in the
capture would look perfect all the way up to the server. For playback,
the stream would be bad right out of the server, typically with
irregular deltas between packets. Also, you could take a look at your
perfmon counters at the time of the problem.

3. "That's what it sounded like in the first place" - Audio is bad
because it started out that way, streams will be bad in both captures
(cell phone, gain settings on gw, someone talking through a sock, bad
phone, etc).