[cisco-voip] OT 3560 LX/LH

Madziarczyk, Jonathan JMad at cityofevanston.org
Thu Apr 16 09:06:01 EDT 2009

I assume you've tried the basics:

1)      Made sure the send strand on side A goes into the receive port
on side B and vice versa

2)      Checked the fiber with an optical tester to get visual
confirmation that the fiber is working correctly (sometimes a chip or
dirt on the end of the connector can prevent light from passing in only
1 direction).

3)      Confirmed that it's not a problem with both the SFPs and the
3560's slots and that the SFPs are securely mounted inside the 3560.

4)      The ports on side A and B are correctly configured and not
shutdown....and you're waiting long enough that spanning-tree is
actually ready to activate the ports (it's probably not an issue with
3560s but some of the older switches would not indicate that the link
was active until spanning tree was done with it's uplink timer).

5)      Your fiber distances are within the recommended parameters.  Too
far is obviously a problem, but too close is sometimes a bigger problem.

6)      Lastly do a "show interface" to make sure the port is not
administratively down from some sort of violation (this doesn't always
show up in the port's running config and may need a shut/no shut to
resolve it).

Beyond that, it may require some outside assistance.

Let us know how it goes.