[cisco-voip] Fake phones - Call Forwarding?

Dane dane at pktloss.net
Sun Apr 26 12:01:55 EDT 2009

Got a CM 4.1(3) system that I inherited that was setup with a bunch of
fake phones to do call forwarding on old extensions / DIDs.

The story is that when they moved buildings they setup a new
CallManager system with new extensions and DID's for the
administrative office phones / users.  This allowed them to setup and
test everything in advance.

When they moved they ported the old DID's over and set up fake phones
to match the old ext. and then set the CallFwdAll to the users new
extension.

There is no easy way of mapping old DID's to the new ones.  Also a lot
of these fake phones forward to another legacy system that runs the
call center agents.

Anyway.. despite how I may feel about what was done and why I need to
get past that.  :-)

The point of sharing this is I need a better way to handle and setup
these forwards.  Why? Mainly because I am planning to move to CM 7 by
the end of the year.  In my discussions with Cisco sales guys they
informed me how different licensing is now in the new versions and
kept asking for phone count since the licensing is impacted by phone
count.

I can't give them a good count right now due to the shear number of
fake phones that are setup to do this call forwarding.

There are many ways to do this but I am not sure what the best way is,
especially when factoring in licensing.

Thoughts or ideas on best way to handle call forwards without setting
up a fake phone?  And ensure I don't run into another issue that would
impact licensing like fake phones would?

Obviously I am not just talking about a handful of phones. We are
talking hundreds of these fake phones that just do call forwarding.

Thanks in advance.