[cisco-voip] 911 Calling Help

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Fri Aug 21 16:30:20 EDT 2009

First, you'll likely need 0 length CDRs enabled to catch any hangups. It adds a lot to your CDR files, but it's worth it on a few levels.

Also, you can either route 911 directly to your security, or you can do something others (and we) have done.

Mark your 911 route pattern as not urgent (keep everything else the same).
Create a 911[0-9] route pattern, mark it as urgent and block that pattern.

This way here, if someone misdials 911 in the middle of LD, they get error tone.
But if it's a true 911 call, the will eventually get connected after the inter digit delay.

Now, I'm speaking from a truly technical standpoint. The execution of this was approved by our management team as well as our Campus Police. We had input from our 911 service provider that did not feel this was a bad thing, especially when it significantly reduces mis-dials/hangups.

Having Emergency 9-911 stickers on your phone will also help.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" - Tshirt