[cisco-voip] 1760 as SIP <-> BRI Gateway

Mark Rudholm mark at rudholm.com
Sun Aug 30 04:14:06 EDT 2009

I'm trying to configure a 1760 running:
Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-IPVOICEK9-M), Version
12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

as a BRI gateway.

I'd like to be able to configure it so that I can send calls
out the BRI from an Asterisk box (or arbitrary SIP client)
and vice versa.

I have the correct card, a VIC-2BRI-NT/TE and a working external NT1.
(I'm in California using NI1 ISDN off of a DMS100)

I've gotten the BRI interface configured and turned up.  It appears
to be receiving messages from the telco switch based on the packet
and byte counts increasing when I show interface bri1/0.

But I have no clue how to define whatever it is that maps inbound
connections, either SIP or from the BRI to wherever it is I want
them to go.  Basically what I need to learn is how to set up call
handling/routing.  The documentation I've been able to find on the
net is mostly about configuring the interfaces, but doesn't seem
to get into the routing of calls.

I'm new to this, so any pointers would be appreciated.  Are there
any good books that cover this area?

Thanks,

-Mark