[cisco-voip] Tone on Hold

Micah Bennett mbennett at als-xtn.com
Tue Jan 13 15:13:37 EST 2009

Hello all
We have a third party conference bridge solution (an old PBX actually).
We have some groups setup and the old system answers the calls and
groups them together for a conference bridge effect.  Problem is when an
internal caller places the bridge on hold, the rest of the callers get
the Tone On Hold beep every 10 seconds.  I followed the instructions
below to disable it.  My number is set to 200000 (the page references
200000 and 20000000) and I still have the tone at the default rate of
every 10 sec.  Is there something else I need to change or maybe reset
the call manager service?

Q. How do I disable Tone on Hold (ToH)?
A. Complete these steps in order to disable ToH:
1.	Go to the Cisco CallManager Administration page.
2.	Choose Service > Service Parameters.
3.	Choose CallManager IP as the Server and Cisco CallManager as the
Service.
4.	Go to the Clusterwide Parameters (Device - General) section on
the Service Parameters configuration page.
5.	Change the value of the Tone On Hold Timer to 2000000 seconds
and click Update.

A. This parameter specifies the number of seconds between every two hold
tones that are played when a call is put on hold. For non-MGCP-based
devices, if this value is 0, the held device plays the hold tone only
one time when the caller is put on hold. If the value is 200000, no hold
tone plays. Otherwise, the held device plays the hold tone every so many
seconds (specified by this value) repeatedly. If the specified value is
less than 5 seconds, the device raises it to 5 seconds. For MGCP-based
devices, the hold tone is disabled if this value is 0 or 200000. Any
other value enables the hold tone on MGCP-based devices when the caller
is put on hold.

Micah Bennett
Telecommunications Admin