[cisco-voip] CCIE Voice or CCIE R&S

Ahmed Elnagar ahmed_elnagar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:21:16 EST 2009

I totally agree with scott, but I want to add something...I did an attempt for the CCIE voice and I am planning for another one soon...my average score was 60% and all the question in the exam know them very well...nothing was that difficult for me...my mistake was in two things:

1- I changed my plan in last moment... changed the order by which I used to answer the exam question so I needed up while reviewing the exam that I forget to configure SRST and MOH...and you know the stress in this last hour is too much that I couldn't tune them as required in the exam question.

Voice exam is really difficult... maybe as Nikola said it is very similar to CCVP (I used to say so) but really they do tricks in two many ways that requires from the candidate to be very familiar with every configuration that can be done with these devices (and they are not just routers and switches like the R&S)...so your work in the lab for very long periods is very required.

Also to add another point...the value of the CCIE R&S is going down everyday...although still required as the easiest way to achieve partnership levels with Cisco "Silver and gold" but voice and security tracks are still very rare...for example here in Egypt I think we have only 2 CCIE voice although we on Cisco site we should have around 50 CCIEs.

If you go for voice make sure that you will have enough time to practice and practice and practice...and you should consider in your plan that it is most likely not to do the exam from first attempt "although not impossible by the way"...although consider the new blueprint and the new diffculty in the exam topics...minor tasks like vlan configuration phone registration are done for you...advanced IPCC scripting is introduced...presence server also...the removal of the 6500 switch is not that big as the configuration tasks requires for this switch was relatively easy.

Good luck and wish me luck in my second attempt :) .
Thanks,Ahmed Elnagar

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:12:28 -0800From: svoll.voip at gmail.comTo: syed.khalid.khursheed at gmail.comCC: cisco-voip at puck.nether.netSubject: Re: [cisco-voip] CCIE Voice or CCIE R&S
I was headed toward the CCIE Voice.  Let me tell you, unless you working on voice 40 hours a week and in all aspects, CM, CME, Unity, UE, UC, UCCx, SIP, MGCP, H323, and every aspect of each and are still willing to lock yourself in a lab for 3 months before taking the test, I would NOT try for the CCIE Voice.  You need to be able to do every command by memory, and know what can be done last so you never hit the same thing twice.

I believe the average pass on the CCIE Voice is the 3rd attempt.

My understanding is the R/S is a whole lot easier (if you can call a CCIE exam Easy ;-).

Scott