[cisco-voip] Adding names for outside callers

Mooney, Nicholas Nicholas.Mooney at astrazeneca.com
Thu May 7 03:10:37 EDT 2009

Hi,

Found the solution to my problem in the end - with some help from Cisco.

The solution attached allows you to have a script that runs on your PSTN
gateway that polls a www server for the name of any incoming caller's
ANI. You need to build your own www site, script and database to return
to the results - however you probably already have most of this in the
form of an internal company phonelist. We are using CUCM 6 & 7 and a
2821 for the voice infrastructure, and IIS and SQL which is feed from
Active Directory for the database infrastrucutre. It all works perfectly
with about 3000 numbers in the database.

The functionality is enabled by a TCL script that goes on the PSTN
gateway router. The script came from Cisco initially and works like
this:

Router gets an incoming PSTN call that matches the DID dial peer.

Router executes the attached script (caller_name.tcl)

caller_name.tcl sends a www POST request with the parameter "ani" which
is the caller's number / ani to your www server

you build a website at http://x.x.x.x/IPTelephony/Default.asp that takes
the ani as a POST and looks it up in your corporate directory

your script at http://x.x.x.x/IPTelephony/Default.asp must return either
the plain text-only name like "Joe Bloggs" or another string like
"Unknown Caller" -- no html or anything else, just characters

the characters/string returned from the script is displayed on the
screen of the IP Phones

You need to get the caller_name.tcl script and do this:

   change x.x.x.x to the IP of your webserver

   change y.y.y.y to the IP of your publisher

   load the script into the TFTP root on your publisher

   setup your x.x.x.x website and scripts and database (the hard bit)

   add these commands to your gateway:

application

service caller tftp://y.y.y.y/caller_name.tcl

dial-peer voice 4000 pots

  description Incoming PSTN Calls

  service caller

  incoming called-number 99999999..$

  direct-inward-dial

and your done...

Also - if you use remote destinations / mobility / snr then the CUCM
will overwrite whatever ANI response the tcl script gets. So if altering
name is set for a remote destination (mobile phone) then it will
overwrite whatever the gateway puts there.

Hope this helps someone --- it really should be a standard feature from
Cisco but its not. It seems whenever I replace a PABX with a Cisco
solution this is one of the first things users ask for - as most PABX's
could have global name / outside number combinations in a directory or
abbreviated numbering.

Nick.