[cisco-voip] Cisco Attendant console and CCM version 7

Bennie Grant Bennie.Grant at mettoni.com
Wed May 27 11:52:03 EDT 2009

I do think the "value" is in the eye of the beholder...

In the scheme of many large CUCM deployments, Attendant Consoles are
often an afterthought, as they are only for a handful of users (and
you're making sure you're catering to the majority of the phone users).

However, this is very ironic - as for the 2,000 IP Phones users (for
example) - you may have 3 or 4 Operators - so a very small percentage of
the user base. HOWEVER, these operators traditionally answer the calls
from the main/published numbers, and therefore are setting the first
impression of your business to any new customer or client calling in.
Therefore, although a very small user base, it is important to make sure
that they can do what they need to do...

To be honest, this has also been the same issue that Cisco themselves
had - in the scheme of a whole Cisco UC deployment, Attendant Consoles
for them was also an afterthought (hence the current issues)!.

We do find that quite often, users "don't know what they don't know" -
when you can start to offer a lot more functionality to the operators,
integration with Presence such as CUPS and/or Microsoft OCS & Calendars,
stronger directory information - the Operators become more than "just
answering calls" and become able to do a lot more for the business -
there are obvious benefits here, and does help with the "Cisco UC
Story"....Centralizing directories (CUCM, AD, Oracle, SAP, internal
bespoke systems) is also a massive value add for users - a lot of this
centers around the Operator and can then be pushed out to the IP Phones,
intranet etc

Anyway - that's my thoughts on this topic - of course, having lived this
for quite a few years I appreciate that my views on this topic are
skewed.

Cheers

Bennie Grant
VP - Operations