[cisco-voip] Comments on Call Manager Upgrade Plan (My firstupgrade)

Jeff Ruttman ruttmanj at carewisc.org
Thu Oct 15 09:49:46 EDT 2009

Hello Dave,

I did a pub and 2 subs.  The pub took an hour and a half, and I had one
period where I waited 20 minutes for an update to the update log.  The
subs took about an hour.  I did the installs on both subs concurrently,
and then I rebooted one, and after it had settled, rebooted the other.

A couple of our phone models got new firmware with the new CM version,
and most of them did not upgrade without a power off and back on, so I
had to hunt them to their port on a switch and do a shut/noshut.  Total
phones weren't so many for me, but if your upgrade will also update
firmware and you have a lot of phones, that could certainly increase the
time you'll need if your phones act like mine.  If you have lots that
will upgrade, you might want to upgrade the phones before you do the CM
upgrade.

I did a lot of testing too.

All told it took about 4 hours for me.

Thanks