[cisco-voip] ATA188

Robert Singleton rsingleton at morsco.com
Thu Oct 15 10:16:58 EDT 2009

On 10/15/2009 08:57 AM, Webber, Bill wrote:
> Has anyone experienced problems with ATA188’s losing registration after
> a modification has been made? I’ve tried 6 different 188’s and if I
> modify the configuration in CM they stop working. I’ve installed each
> ATA per the installation process in the Cisco documentation. I’ve
> unplugged the Ethernet cable but still no registration. I’ve completely
> removed them from CM and re-added them to no avail. Is there particular
> programming that needs to be done on the switch where the ATA is plugged in?

This may or may not be the issue you're having, but...

I had a bunch of ATA's that suddenly lost registration and wouldn't seem
to come back up. It took a while to figure it out but at one time, our
switch people tended to hard set speed and duplex on every port,
mistrusting auto setting. For some inadequately researched reason, the
ATA would download a new firmware image. The images had been on the
server since the last update months earlier, so I still don't know why
they suddenly decided to upgrade firmware at that time. In any case, the
new firmware had the ethernet ports on the ATA hard set to 10Mb half
duplex whereas the previous image had them hard set to 100Mb full
duplex. With the switch ports hard set to 100MB full duplex, the ATA's
would appear to just die. Troubleshooting was complicated because 'show
cdp' or 'show mac-address' on the switch could not identify which port
the ATA was on, meaning I had to walk non-technical end users through
the process of tracking down which port their ATA was plugged into.

Setting the port to match (or preferably to auto/auto) would allow the
ATA to register and operate.

Robert