[cisco-voip] Comments on Call Manager Upgrade Plan (My first upgrade)

Jeff Ruttman ruttmanj at carewisc.org
Thu Sep 24 09:56:27 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I see by the Cisco Alert at the very end of this email that I'll have to
do my first CCM upgrade this weekend--or bust!  I have a few questions
from the OS Admin Guide and a couple more in my "upgrade plan.'  Not a
major upgrade; I'm upgrading from 6.1.2 to 6.1.4(SU1).  Any comments
will be appreciated greatly.

OS Guide says this:
Starting with Cisco Unified Communications Manager version 6.1(1), CAPF
uses the Certificate Manager Infrastructure to manage its certificates
and keys. Because of this, when you upgrade to version 6.1(1) or higher,
CAPF keys and certificates automatically get regenerated. You must then
rerun the CTL Client application to upgrade the CTL file. For
information on using CAPF with Cisco Unified Communications Manager,
refer to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Security Guide.

Obtain licenses for Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(1) before
upgrading to this release. You must import your new licenses after
upgrading to enable the system. Refer to Cisco Unified Communications
Manager Administration Guide for information about licensing and
obtaining licenses.

I see that the Cisco CTL Provider service is deactivated on all our
servers.  This does not apply to me then?

OS Guide says:
During the installation of upgrade software, the upgrade may appear to
stall. The upgrade log stops displaying new log messages.

Where/how do I access the installation log?

Here is my little plan (with some questions)

1. Ensure a good backup.

2. DVD into drive.

3. Login to OS Admin on Publisher.

4. Run through install and reboot to upgraded partition.

(Should I do any testing at this point?)

5. Rinse and Repeat on our 2 Subscribers.

(If the CCM version upgrade has newer phone loads, at what point will
phones begin grabbing the new loads?  After the Pub comes on line after
the upgrade?  When I reboot the first Sub and phones re-register to the
other Sub?  Or will I just reset all the phones that will get a new load
after all the servers are upgraded?)

6. See that phone and GWs are all registered.  Test incoming/outgoing
calling.  Test that I can make database changes on the Pub....

(What other testing do you recommend?)

Thanks

jeff