[cisco-voip] Call Control / Phone Registration Distance

VoIP Guy ciscovoiper1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 11:38:59 EDT 2010

There are no explicit constraints in the SRND but it does mention from here
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/models.html#wp1043663
:

Best Practices for the Centralized Call Processing Model

Follow these guidelines and best practices when implementing multisite
centralized call processing deployments:

•Minimize delay between Unified CM and remote locations to reduce voice
cut-through delays (also known as clipping).

Keepalive timers between CUCM and an IP Phone are in the orders of seconds,
so it shouldn’t be an issue and hence there is no specific requirement about
latency.

Take into account that in a previous life we implemented CUCM over a
satellite connection and apart from delay for dialtone, etc, it worked on
the whole, well.