[cisco-voip] Active Directory Intergration

Mike King me at mpking.com
Thu Feb 18 15:20:18 EST 2010

We've recently upgraded from 4.2 to 7.1.3, with unity connection for
voicemail.

Right now we make users in CM to appear in the corporate directory, and we
make users in Voicemail for them to have voicemail boxes.  Only 2 (maybe 3)
of the voicemail accounts are linked to CM.
We also have IPCCX (10 users).  Nobody is logging into the Client Webpage.

Obviously, this is a pain to manage, because we have to enter the data 3
times. (AD, CM, and Unity Connection).

We're seriously considering Active Directory Integration.
Things I know:
  1.  All existing users in CM get dumped when AD is integrated.  (not a
problem for the IPCCX users, since I can schedule time with them so it
doesn't impact them)

Things I think I know, but need someone to confirm:
  1. Users in Unity will be unaffected till I import/sync the existing
usernames.  (if the username is differernt, I'll have to fix it)

Things I don't know:
  1.  How to make department listings for corporate directory? (Can I make a
Contact Versus a Dummy Account)
  2.  What happens to the 2 or 3 Callmanager Linked Voicemail boxes?  Do
they disappear?
  3.  Am I setting myself up for heartache here, or is this a good path to
go down?  We've only got about 150 mailboxes right now, but we're pegging
growth of around 500 Mailboxes this year, and another 500-1000 the year
after. (Centralizing the phone system)

Any advice is also solicited, we're planning on having a consultant run the
project, but any gotcha's that are well known would be appreciated.

Mike