[cisco-voip] Question about hold/transfer button not appearing on some calls

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Thu Jun 17 10:42:10 EDT 2010

I have a scenario going on where at times, the Hold/Transfer button does
not appear on the display.
This seems to happen when the user is on a call on 5510, and a second
call comes in to 5510. They then cannot place the call on hold to take
the second call, or do a transfer before taking the second call.

Reportedly (from another cisco-voip user), when you have this issue with
no hold/transfer button, it's an "available resources" problem, and you
need to make more additional line resources available in order for there
to be a "place" to do the hold/transfer.

Best I can determine, this is happening in the following circumstance:

1. The DN is configured on multiple phones (12 in this case). It is not
the primary line on most phones
2. The Max Calls is set to 5  (currently) and the Busy Trigger is set to
3 (currently).
Problem persists even at adjusted settings.

(Those values are 2 and 1 by default in our setup)

By experimentation with another similar setup elsewhere in the system,
we discovered that when four (4) phones had the same line, it was
necessary to set Max Calls to 16 and Busy Trigger to 4  in order to get
the "no transfer button/no hold button" issue to stop happening.

What I'm trying to understand here is this:

1. Is it true that you always must set MaxCalls to four-times the number
of actual line appearances? and set Busy Trigger to the count of shared
lines?

We don't have anything like 48 calls coming in -- even with 5 and 3 set,
there should be PLENTY of resources available to do a hold/transfer

Can someone explain this to me?

Other system parameters:
7.0.2.20000-5  SCCP41.8-4-3S

Tim Reimers