[cisco-voip] ISDN 10 configuration to 2821

Dave Cardwell dave.cardwell1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 15:22:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Dockendorf, Dave
<Dave.Dockendorf at ecolab.com> wrote:
> I have a site in Singapore currently using this service in their current
> phone system.  We are planning to move it over to our 2821 and give them IP
> phones, but I need some guidance.
>
> I have done many domestic T1 PRI connections to voice gateways, but never an
> E1 or ISDN 10.
>
> I know I will need to configure the controller E1, but what are the
> specifics for the timeslots?  (Guessing: pri-group timeslots 1-10)?
>
> Along with that, do you know what the D channel is?  I have seen ISDN 30
> configurations in Australia, using pri-group timeslots 1-31, and that uses
> channel 15 for the D channel.

Hi Dave,

E1 always uses channel 15 for the d-channel, even if there are less b-channels.
If you just configure
controller e1
 pri-group timeslots 1-10

IOS will automatically modify it to include channel 15 for the
d-channel* and create serial x/y:15

*I think it shows up as "pri-group timeslots 1-10,15" but don't have
one to check just now.

Hope it helps,
Dave