[cisco-voip] Cius Feedback?

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:57:11 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Ryan Ratliff <rratliff at cisco.com> wrote:
> I'm not quote running the latest firmware, looks like 9.2.2 just came
> out recently. I have some smartnet fun to deal with now as these
> tablets weren't put on our regular contract - so now I can't download
> the latest firmware for it. Don't get me started on the SNAFU that is
> contract management. Running 9.2.1SR2-21SEC right now.
>

> One issue you'll have is that you cannot purchase Smartnet on a Cius.  It's
> warranty or accidental damage protection.  IMO the software coverage on your
> CUCM should get you phone load downloads but I've no idea if that translates
> to reality in any way.

Cisco seems to be split-brained on this.  Without a Smartnet contract
on phones, you can't download phone loads.  But you can still download
device packs, because those seem to be tied into CUCM contracts?!?

But of course, device packs aren't kept up-to-date, so if you run into
an issue, like the one which forced us to open a TAC case, because
phones were going full dim rather than fully bright when you increased
the brightness all the way, you're stuck for a few months.