[cisco-voip] Cius Feedback?

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 15:23:13 EST 2011

I've been getting warning messages for months when downloading
firmware for models we don't carry smart net for. When we were
renewing support contracts this year I specifically asked about it,
and was told ESW on UCM should be enough to get firmware, and that it
was probably just a mixup in their download system.

Friday I actually got denied downloading the Cius firmware so I
assumed it was the same issue (even though I thought we had legit
"smartnet" for). I think maybe this is something different though
since you can't get smartnet for those devices per Ryan.

Screenshot of the cisco.com error:
http://i39.tinypic.com/25su1at.png

Apparently in this case you can email them and they will set you up
with the file. I haven't yet tried accessing any other firmware
recently for different models to see if I get a similar contract
message.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Erick <ewellnitzvoip at gmail.com> wrote:
> When did that start?  I've always been able to download phone loads without smartnet on phones.
>
> On Dec 12, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Ryan Ratliff <rratliff at cisco.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not quote running the latest firmware, looks like 9.2.2 just came
>>> out recently. I have some smartnet fun to deal with now as these
>>> tablets weren't put on our regular contract - so now I can't download
>>> the latest firmware for it. Don't get me started on the SNAFU that is
>>> contract management. Running 9.2.1SR2-21SEC right now.
>>>

>>> One issue you'll have is that you cannot purchase Smartnet on a Cius.  It's
>>> warranty or accidental damage protection.  IMO the software coverage on your
>>> CUCM should get you phone load downloads but I've no idea if that translates
>>> to reality in any way.
>>
>> Cisco seems to be split-brained on this.  Without a Smartnet contract
>> on phones, you can't download phone loads.  But you can still download
>> device packs, because those seem to be tied into CUCM contracts?!?
>>
>> But of course, device packs aren't kept up-to-date, so if you run into
>> an issue, like the one which forced us to open a TAC case, because
>> phones were going full dim rather than fully bright when you increased
>> the brightness all the way, you're stuck for a few months.

Ed Leatherman