[cisco-voip] Cisco UC 7.x products on AMD Powered ESXi Server

Stephen Welsh stephen.welsh at unifiedfx.com
Wed Feb 9 14:15:21 EST 2011

Personally I'd be suprised if the later versions of UCM would work on an AMD CPU given there increased detection and integration with VMWare and it's configuration. One component that I know would not work is Cisco Unified Applications Environment (CUAE) as it states it needs a timer only implimented on Intel CPU's, but then that's not a typical lab component ;)

I ran ESXi on a white box until just last week, the two restrictions I found were the NIC card and Hard Drive controller. I had to buy a 'listed' Intel Gig card and I could not use the raid function of the on-board HD controller, so I just had multiple 1Tb HD's as their own datastore, this was fine until one of them died...

So I decided to bite the bullet and buy a DL380G5 with 2xQuad core CPU's and 8Gb RAM, it was a great deal at £900, and including the cost of some new HD's (5x500Gb) it came in at £1500.

It is a lot of money, but well worth it, and having iLO on your lab set-up is great

Also, ESXi's free license used to only enable 1 physical CPU, but with ESXi 4.1 it's unlimited so I now have 8 CPU cores ;)

Stephen