[cisco-voip] How to Introduce variable jitter and delay between A and B

Jason Burns burns.jason at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 23:01:41 EST 2011

Andrew,

If you know perl and iptables you could modify the script on this page to
introduce a random delay instead of a fixed delay:

http://people.redhat.com/berrange/notes/network-delay.html

<http://people.redhat.com/berrange/notes/network-delay.html>Essentially we
take something off the iptables INPUT (from one or any of your interfaces
configurable by the iptables INPUT rule), and send it to the QUEUE target.
That's where the perl script is waiting to hold onto the packets for some
arbitrary time.

You could also have it drop some small number of packets as well (instead of
sending them to NF_ACCEPT) with a bit more perl scripting.

I actually like this approach compared to other tools I've used just because
I'm more comfortable with Linux and iptables. It could be whipped up quickly
and FREE.

-Jason