[cisco-voip] UCCx wrong MAC address?

Shawn Wilson macwired at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 15:26:49 EST 2011

Just so everyone knows, below are the parameters that determine the license
mac.  If you change any of the parameters, the license mac will change and
you will go into the 30 day grace period.  Also, all of the UC products I
have installed 8.x and beyond use the license mac scheme and you should
expect it moving forward.  Using the answer file is incredibly important if
you ever have to recover the system since the restore doesn't take place
until you have completed a full install of the system and those parameters
are not overwritten. You will then require a P1 call to TAC since there is
no 30 day grace period with a restore and your system will remain down until
the license is sorted.

When you send an email to licensing, be sure to include the old license mac
address (this is also another reason to use the answer file since the old
license macs are not available once they change).  I have found they can
find the old license immediately and cut you a new license within 5 minutes.

I would rant about what a PITA this all is, but that is already well
covered.  At least they are now bumping up the licensing staff so someone
gets back to you within about 4 hours.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/License_MAC_Generation

<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/License_MAC_Generation>A License MAC is in
the same format as a physical MAC address, i.e. a 12 digit hexadecimal
value, but it is generated by hashing the following user-configured
parameters:

   - Time zone
   - NTP server 1 (or “none”)
   - NIC speed (or “auto”)
   - Hostname
   - IP Address (or “dhcp”)
   - IP Mask (or “dhcp”)
   - Gateway Address (or “dhcp”)
   - Primary DNS (or “dhcp”)
   - SMTP server (or “none”)
   - Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

run the 'show status' CLI command after installation.

<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/License_MAC_Generation>Shawn