[cisco-voip] ucm 8.5 vmware network issues

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue Mar 1 10:45:15 EST 2011

Low network throughput is a known issue with existing UCM versions and
ESXi 4.1.  Only ESXi4.0 is currently supported:
http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization
http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMWare_Requirements
"All UC on UCS servers require use of VMware ESXi 4.0 to be supported."

Some specifics of the virtual network adapter changed that caused the
problem. I do not know if ESXi 4.1 and "VMWARE server 2.0" use the same
virtual network driver.

This is a good example of the reason for the very specific vmware
requirements.  Moving an app to a virtual machine is one thing.  Moving
a real time app to a virtual machine is quite another.

Regards,
Wes