[cisco-voip] CUCM 8.6(2a) & 9971 9.2(1): Messages Button Returns "Messages not available"

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:28:08 EST 2012

Hi Everyone,

I have a group of 9971 phones which display a message on the screen when
then messages button is pressed.  The expected behavior is that the phone
would just dial the VM pilot configured for the given VM profile on the
line.

I have tried pressing the button from an idle state, and an off hook state,
and the result is the same.  Dialing the pilot number directly works.
 Also, if I call the phone, it does roll to VM correctly.  So, it would
appear that the only function not working is pressing the messages button.

A packet capture on the phone shows no traffic leaving the phone when the
button is pressed.

An upgrade to SIP 9.2(3) does not help either.

I have attached a photo of the screen for your reference.

Has anyone seen this, or have a troubleshooting step to suggest?

Thank you,

Anthony Holloway