[cisco-voip] CUCM 8.6(2a) & 9971 9.2(1): Messages Button Returns "Messages not available"

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 12:30:54 EST 2012

All,

Thank you all who responded with helpful tips and troubleshooting
suggestions.

I forgot to mention that the phone is a SIP phone, but I think it was
implied by the phone model: 9971.

At any rate, the fix is simple, and almost embarrassing.

I took a working phone from another cluster and compared its cnf.xml.sgn
file to my non-working phone's cnf.xml.sgn file and this is what I noticed.

The working phone had this section present:

<phoneService  type="2" category="0">
<name>Voicemail</name>
 <url>Application:Cisco/Voicemail</url>
<vendor></vendor>
 <version></version>
</phoneService>

I immediately recognized the "Application:Cisco/Voicemail" as coming from
the Phone Services section.  Sure enough, our Voice mail phone service was
disabled.  I checked the enable checkbox, then clicked update
subscriptions, and finally bounced the phones, and everything was back to
normal.

In my search for a fix, searching for "Messages not available" in Google
provided no helpful results.  And now it
does.<https://www.google.com/search?q=cisco+%22Messages+not+available%22>
=)

Screenshot of CCM config attached.

Anthony Holloway